27 August, 2007
On behalf of the government and the Greek people, the Foreign Ministry expresses its deep gratitude to the European Commission, to Environment Commissioner Mr. Stavros Dimas, and in particular to the European governments who have shown tangible solidarity, offering invaluable help and assistance to confront the catastrophic fires raging simultaneously in many areas of our country.
Specifically, we express our gratitude to the following governments who have stated their intention to assist as follows:
- France, with 4 Canadair aircraft and 65 fire-fighters
- Germany, with 3 fire-fighting helicopters
- Spain, with 2 Canadair aircraft
- Italy, with 2 Canadair aircraft
- The Republic of Cyprus, with 6 fire-fighting vehicles and 60 fire-fighters
- Norway, with 1 special fire-fighting helicopter
- Holland, with 3 fire-fighting helicopters
- Portugal, with 1 Canadair
- Romania, with 1 helicopter
- Serbia, with 6 special fire-fighting aircraft
- Slovenia, with 1 helicopter
In addition, Foreign Minister Ms. Bakoyannis communicated with her Israeli counterpart, who responded positively, with the type of assistance to be designated.