11 November, 2006
Oil from Kazakhstan as well as Russia may reach Greece through a pipeline due to be built by Athens, Moscow and Sofia.
"Politically, the way is open on the part of Kazakhstan and Russia for an inflow of Kazakh oil in the planned Burgas-Alexandroupoli pipeline," the Asian republic's ambassador in Athens, Almas Hamzayev, told the ANA-MPA.
The issue had been raised during a visit to Astana, Kazakhstan's capital, by Deputy Foreign Minister Euripides Stylianidis in July.
"Since then, consultations have been held with Russia, and, politically, the green light has been given for Kazakh oil to flow in the pipeline that will mainly be fed from Russia," Hamzayev reported.
At the same time, a decision has yet to be taken on percentages, he said.
So far, Russia is seeking 51% with Greece and Bulgaria sharing the remaining 49%.
"There is a new dynamic in (Kazakh) relations between Greece and my country, which is part of Eurasia and a major oil producer," noted the ambassador, who is also accredited in Rome.
Source: Athens News Agency