© Copyright Embassy of Greece 1996-2005. All Rights Reserved.
08 October, 2001
Prime minister Costas Simitis, yesterday said that "the response of the U.S. was unavoidable. Those who killed thousands of innocent citizens should be held accountable."
"Greece is struggling against terrorism and is participating in the framework of decisions taken by NATO and the EU," he said.
Simitis added that "we have requested that the response should be concentrated on specific targets" and said that U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney called him and reassured him of this and that humanitarian aid for refugees will be continued.
"I hope there will be no or few victims among the civilian population," he further said.
Simitis announced that the Government Council of Defense and Foreign Affairs (KYSEA) will convene on Monday to examine the situation but added that "the situation is under control, there is no need for any particular concern and there is no need for fear."
Replying to a question by the press on whether there will be a more active participation by Greece, he reiterated that the country is providing facilities at its airports in the framework of decisions taken by NATO and the EU.
"So far," he added, "there has been no request for further assistance. I don't think it will be necessary."
Simitis further said "the terrorist attacks against the US have changed the world's situation. One cannot say for sure that it will change for the worst."
Source: Athens News Agency