29 December, 2004
"No death or serious injury of a Greek national has yet been reported in the stricken southeast Asia region," Foreign Ministry Spokesman George Koumoutsakos said on Tuesday evening, referring to the earthquake and subsequent tidal wave that hit south and southeast Asia on Sunday.
Koumoutsakos said that 126 Greeks remain in the tsunami-struck area and are reportedly in good health. According to sources, 27 people have not yet contacted their families. This, however, does not mean that they are injured, Koumoutsakos stressed and confirmed the injury of four Greeks whose names were made public earlier on Tuesday.
Finally, the foreign ministry spokesman noted that these numbers are not final and emphasized the difficult task the ministry has of gathering and processing related information.
Source: Athens News Agency